Monday, November 21, 2016

The Weeknd's "Starboy" was just meh until I saw the lyric video, then I was really blown away at the overall tone and message of the song. It's cryptic, and really hard to decipher on first listen.

Did you know that "Can't feel my face?" was really about cocaine and not a woman he loves? Come on now, be honest, if you have never done cocaine it would be hard to draw the connection. In similar vein "The Hills" is about him having an affair with an adulterous woman of some fame.

"Starboy" is essentially about his descent into decadence and unabashed egotism, as his fame and fortune allow him to buy whatever he wants, and unleashes his dark side, of bragging about his riches, of going out of his way to making other people feel bad about their mediocrity. While the message is ridiculously materialistic in nature, you get the feeling he is painfully aware about it all, through the way he says "I'm a motherfuckin' Starboy", to "We don't pray for love, we pray for cars".

Isn't it funny how society at large tries so hard to keep pushing positive feel messages like "love is all you need", "i don't need money to have a good time", "i don't need no diamond rings". This all serves to make Starboy feel like a refreshing confession that "hey, I got materialistic because I made 55 million dollars in 2016, who the hell wouldn't become materialistic with all this money". I'm biased though, I like Abel Tesfaye a lot because he has that sweet high buttery voice, and he's got lyrical and musical talent. If Drake sang something of a similar nature I'd be rolling my eyes and going "whatever dude".


No comments:

Post a Comment